From the issue dated June 10, 2004
Major Gifts Awarded by New York Donors
Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman
- American Museum of Natural History (New York): $12.5-million for the Dorothy and Lewis B. Cullman Hall of the Universe, a permanent astrophysics exhibit, and other projects.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York): $16-million to pay for various projects and art exhibits, including “Art of the First Cities: The Third Millennium B.C. From the Mediterranean to the Indus” and “Egyptian Art in the Age of the Pyramids.”
- Museum of Modern Art (New York): $51-million to support education programs and the construction of the soon-to-open Education and Research Building. The Cullmans also paid to transfer the museum’s sculpture garden to the New York Botanical Garden during the museum’s renovation, and for the costs of displaying the artwork there.
- Neurosciences Research Foundation (La Jolla, Calif.): $10-million to support the Neurosciences Institute. The gift must be matched with $15-million raised by the organization from other sources.
- New York Botanical Garden: $15.4-million to establish a program for molecular-systemics studies that trains young scientists to conduct plant research.
- New York Public Library: $30-million to establish the Center for Scholars and Writers at the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, which provides fellowships to writers who use the library’s resources for their projects. The money also has helped pay for the construction of the new Science, Industry, and Business Library in midtown Manhattan, and to overhaul the building that houses the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center.
- Yale University (New Haven, Conn.): $16-million for various projects at Mr. Cullman’s alma mater, including ones to establish the Lewis B. Cullman Professor of Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology; to establish the Cullman Joint Doctoral Program Fund at the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies; and to renovate the university’s Branford College building.
<previous article> | <Related Articles>